Sunday, November 25, 2007

Eleanor


As I got older I got cockier. I started to think that I knew stuff. Turns out I didn't know anything. I've taken my lessons this year from Eleanor. She turned one today.


Lessons:


  • Even though I'm a misanthropist with a pessimistic view of human nature I learned that one of the first things we find out how to do after we're born is smile and laugh.

  • We take things for granted about being human. You have to learn how to do everything. You have to learn that you exist, that your hands are your hands, that you can move them, that you can do things with them. Every single one of us walking around, so sure of ourselves, so confident in our gestures and expressions, began not even knowing that we existed.

  • And I learned what unconditional love is.


Happy birthday, Eleanor.


(Originally posted 20 November)

No comments: